Ways / Means
Sick / Visiting
News - All - 8 Sep 2018
News Item 167 of 1774
RCL: 8 Sep 2018
DOMINION CONVENTION HIGHLIGHTS
The 928 accredited delegates in the RBC Winnipeg Convention Centre August 25-29 2018 elected the following Dominion Officers:
President: Tom Irvine
1st V.P.: Bruce Julian
Vice Presidents: Parkhouse, Stanfield, and Weaver
Treasurer: Mark Barham (no change)
Chairman: Bill Chafe (no change)
Here are some highlights from the business sessions:
- the delegates donated over $95,000 to the RCEL, the arm of the Legion that supports Veterans in Commonwealth countries worldwide
- a per capita tax increase was NOT requested
- Life award will return to being a Membership Category
- the oath to the Soverign will go back on to the application form, proposer and seconder will NOT
- Life Members of the L.A. will NOT automatically become Life Members of their Branch
- First Responders and Border Guards will NOT automatically be in the Ordinary Member category
- all qualifying CF members will receive a free Membership to the Legion for a year, including an electronic version of Legion magazine
- LAV IIIs will be considered monuments for Poppy Trust Fund purposes
- The Founder's Award went to Prince Harry, for the Invictus Games project.
- The Federal Government is considering putting GST on Legion Memberships, which could cost the Legion $560,000, or even more if retroactive
- The Legion National Foundation has been formed, in order that large corporate donors will get the incentive of a tax receipt
There were numerous guest speakers, presenting the delegates with information on things such as the RCEL, Cadet Leagues, Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs, The American Legion, The Royal British Legion, and Veterans Affairs. Mrs. Diana Abel, National Silver Cross Mother, had a particularly moving address.
All of the Saturday Afternoon seminars were full to standing room only.
There was much healthy debate, and Chairman Bill Chafe allowed everyone to have their say whenever possible. The days were long, however, with Monday going past 6, and Tuesday going past 7 p.m. For Saskatoon in 2020, the old schedule (one extra day) may be reinstated, as many delegates felt that 10-12 hours in a chair is not conducive to good decision making.
Dominion Command will be publishing a list of all resolution decisions, and I will post same as soon as I receive it.
Read 6362 times.
Member Comments on this Article.